<$BlogRSDURL$>

Analog Aesthetics

superior.acoustics

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Christmas in Koeln 

Well, it's about that time again. 2006. The new year. Lots of friends came to visit, I drank far, far too much wine, and I've been working like a fiend on my projects. Lots of New Year's Resolutions this year, one of which will be to keep in touch more - and take more pictures.

Email me your addresses! I've got lovely letters with your names on them.

Ever wonder what it's like to be me?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
We had one snow day. This was it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The wind was really gusting and blowing everything around. This photo taken right before I was covered in snow. For about.... 10 minutes. Then alas! No more snow.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I'm pretty sure Aaron was just showing off for this. And you can't even see him!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I have no idea where this is. It doesn't even look like it belongs in Koeln. Smokestacks? I'll take bets on what this is. Then we'll ask The Illustrious.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is the bridge right near my house. It's never looked so good. That's the train station in the background.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Jay insisted we take pictures of some German signs for her grandmother. Hallo Grossmutter!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
We got completely drenched trying to do some Christmas shopping. Jay makes those shirts herself!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Probably my favorite picture. Der Dom looks so beautiful. Taken the day it snowed.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
You just can't avoid reading when coming to my house. Books lying around everywhere - besides. We partied too hard the night before...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This was me playing "Bed is for Sleeping" (Bonnie "Prince" Billy) for Aaron.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I think I was actually playing (and singing) Pearl Jam right at this moment.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
More pictures of signs for Jay's grandmother.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This street also exists right around the corner from my house. I love it. It looks so mysterious.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
One of my favorite houses along the Rhein. I'm totally addicted to walking along the river at night. Destroyer, this means you.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Jay finds a record at Underdog Records that makes her wonder what her family was doing in the 70s.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
End of a very long night. Our good friend Ben led us to this bar, and I have no idea where we are. That's why I'm drinking heavily. I found out that very night that my favorite restaurant - Unsichtbar - lies just around the corner from me. The next person to visit gets treated to dinner!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Ben talking to the Sony robot. It didn't like to listen to us, either in German or English. We told it to stop and walk a lot. It just fell over.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Who would have thought you could take photographs in a bathroom the size of a closet? Ben der Fotograf!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This was the craziest night. We met Dirk, who owns the record player store across the street from my favorite French bar, Legete Pop. He offered to sell me something fabulous at half price. We <3>

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Trying to be winsome.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
We all got in on the photograph action. Jay, with the entire bar staring at her.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Aaron flexes for everyone. Ben loves it. So does the camera.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Oliver and his bird. He was the most photogenic of us all...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Kids love graffiti. So do we. How obvious. I'd be afraid of misspelling.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I hadn't been outside in days. Post-Christmas! The city was hectic with shoppers. I bought a handmade scarf and some gifts for the family. Do I look happy? No. But crazy seems to be in order.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
My balcony view after the snowfall. Too bad it didn't last!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
You can't tell, but there are snowflakes falling into my eyes/nose/mouth right at this moment.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Kelly sure knows how to pose. This is her killer face. It's also her makeout face.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Kelly (makeout face included), Jay (tickled pink), Oliver (Croatian/German that he is), Aaron (always looking tough), me (blissfully drunk). The start of the glamour shots a la Ben.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Photos taken until we passed out. I think this was early on at the bar though. So that doesn't explain my delerious face...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Jay and Oliver couldn't look cuter. And check out that chandelier!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Ho's Supermarkt. Open all day, every day.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Puppet street performance, played for the kids. And us. But we're big kids, so it still counts...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
We were hungry and stumbling around the city by this time. And happened upon a skating rink and some hidden Weihnachtsmarkt goodness. Reibekuchen!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This guy draws huge portraits and pictures in front of der Dom everyday. He's quite talented. Too bad it's only temporary.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is my favorite stranger in Koeln. He stands in the street, rain or shine, and gets no appreciation. Hats off to you, Mr. Frog!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Another busy day on Schildergasse. Things can get nasty and hectic - just try walking down Hohe Strasse on a Saturday.

Well that's it folks! I miss you all and hope to hear from you first thing in 2006. Expect phone calls on New Year's Eve, and get on the mic to share your Christmas stories with me! Tell me all about your new Christmas loot.

Ich liebe Euch alle und guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr!

Get on the mic!

The tape's still hissing...

Tape Backups

My blogosphere: